skip to Main Content

As a homeowner or renter, you’re likely to encounter electrical issues sooner or later. However, understanding what causes these issues and knowing how best to tackle them can prevent potential hazards – and save both time and money.

Power Surges

Experiencing abrupt power surges in your home could be indicative of an underlying problem. Power surges are typically caused by more power flowing through wires than they can handle. This can be caused by anything from a lightning strike to an appliances in your home that requires a significant amount of power. The networks of modern homes are not designed to manage abrupt changes in the power supply, which can result in damage to electrical devices and appliances in your home.

To mitigate this, you should consider installing a full-house surge protector. Not only does it protect your appliances from external surges like lightning strikes, but it also regulates the power levels in your home, preventing internal surges. When in doubt, consult an electrical expert from SJK Collective to ensure a proper installation of the device.

Overloaded Circuits

Overloading happens when too many electrical appliances are plugged into a single outlet. The high demand for electricity can overheat the electrical panel’s circuits, posing a fire risk.

One easy fix for overloading is the strategic use of your outlets. Avoid plugging multiple high-wattage appliances into the same outlet. In some cases, it may be necessary to install additional outlets or upgrade your current electrical panel to accommodate the electricity demand in your home.

Fluctuations in Light Intensity

Fluctuations in light intensity can signify a serious problem with your home’s electrical system. If you notice your lights dimming or brightening unexpectedly, it could be due to several issues, such as a defective bulb, faulty wiring, or an outdated electrical panel.

If replacing the light bulb does not solve the issue, the problem may be rooted deeper in the electrical system. In such a case, enlisting the services of a qualified electrician is the safest and most effective route to take.

Damaged Wiring

Damaged wiring is a major safety concern. Whether caused by rodents, wear and tear, or improper installation, damaged or exposed wires can cause electrical shocks, power outages, and even fires. Regular inspections can help identify any potential damage early, thereby preventing any serious consequences.

If you find any damaged wiring in your home, it is vital to not attempt any DIY fixes. Instead, contact a licensed electrician immediately.

Loose Outlets

Loose outlets pose a potential fire risk. Over time, the electrical wiring can become loose due to the constant plugging and unplugging of appliances, leading to a poor connection.

To fix this, first try tightening the screws on the outlet. If this does not solve the issue, it could mean that the outlet box is not properly secured or the electrical wiring is loose. These repairs should be carried out by a professional to ensure safety.

Electrical Shocks

Experiencing an electrical shock when plugging in or touching an electrical appliance is a clear sign of a problem. This could be due to a grounding issue, faulty appliance, or problems with your home’s electrical system.

If you experience an electrical shock, it’s vital to ascertain whether the shock came from the appliance or the outlet. Unplug the device and try it in a different outlet. If the shock persists, the problem could be with the appliance. On the other hand, if the shock only happens at the original outlet, there may be a problem with your wiring or the outlet itself. In any case, it’s recommended to consult an experienced electrician to handle these issues to prevent serious injury.

While some electrical issues may seem easy to diagnose and fix, the safest course of action is always to hire a professional, licensed electrician. They are equipped with the necessary training, tools, and knowledge to handle electrical problems safely and effectively. To solve your residential electrical issues, contact SJK Collective – your local electrician in Brisbane and all surrounding suburbs.

SJK Collective

SJK Collective

SJK Collective are a team of experts who will get the job done affordably and professionally! Situated in Brisbane, SJK Collective is a locally owned company who have been around for over 10 years. With a motto of ‘no problems, only solutions’ SJK Collective offers a full scale electrical, air conditioning, plumbing, gas and solar service to Brisbane and surrounding regions.

Back To Top